Saturday, March 5, 2011

Pale Green Pants Puppet

"Then I was deep within the woods when suddenly I spied them. I saw a pair of pale green pants with nobody inside them!" ~ From "What was I Scared of?" by Dr. Seuss
This is one of Mia's favorite stories by Dr. Seuss, so I had to come up with some kind of craft to go along with it. She also wants to make a puppet of the critter who narrates the story, but we haven't tried that yet.

Materials:
  • green paper
  • pale green tissue paper
  • black marker
  • scissors
  • glue
  • craft stick
  • masking tape
Directions:
  1. Draw the pants from "What was I Scared of?" onto green paper with a black marker. Ours are slightly longer than a popsicle stick and the pant legs are wide enough so that the popsicle stick will be covered by the paper. (I drew ours freehand, but you could trace from the book or use a photocopy if you prefer.)
  2. Cut pale green tissue paper into strips and then into squares (about 1/2 inch.) I cut the strips and then let Mia do some scissor practice cutting the smaller square (ish) pieces.
  3. Glue squares onto green pants (or as Mia decided to do, ball the tissue paper up first, and then glue it to the pants. Allow glue to dry.
  4. Tape the craft stick to the back of one pant leg. Your puppet is now finished. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment